Credit and refund information
Our online credit tool is being built at pace. In the meantime, customers can call our Contact Centre to redeem their credits or apply for a refund. We will be contacting customers in the coming weeks to communicate their credit balance. We appreciate your understanding and patience as we navigate these exceptional times.
Fares are only refundable if this was specified in the original conditions of your fare or if local legislation requires a refund when a flight is cancelled by the operating airline.
You can find your fare type on the receipt page of your E-ticket. See our fare rules for full details of your fare conditions, including if your fare type is refundable.
We have set out below some examples of local legislation that may apply to an eligible flight cancelled by Air New Zealand:
- US refund laws apply to flights to/from/within and via the US, regardless of country of residence or purchase.
- Regulation 261/2004 applies to flights departing the EU or UK on any airline, and flights arriving in the EU or UK operated by a European Carrier. The regulation gives passengers the option of requesting a refund, regardless of the country of residence or purchase.
- A refund may also be available in the following jurisdictions, provided that the passenger is resident in the applicable jurisdiction and the travel commences or ends in that jurisdiction:
- South Korea
- Mainland China
Arrange a refund
You can arrange a refund by calling our Contact Centre. We are experiencing a large number of calls, so please delay your call if you can.
We are offering customers credit for COVID-19-affected flights so they can travel at a later date.
Book with confidence
We've waived the change fee on NZ domestic flights until 31 March 2021 - so if your plans change, your flights can too!
Opt-in for credit
If you no longer wish to travel, we'll credit the full value of your flights. This applies to NZ domestic and international flights scheduled to fly before 31 March 2021.
Credit validity has been extended. We have extended all credits to be valid to book travel until 31 December 2021 (or for 12 months from the time of opt-in, whichever is later).
The following are eligible for credits as part of our COVID-19 response:
- Domestic flights booked to travel before 31 March 2021.
- International flights booked to travel before 31 March 2021.
The following conditions apply to these credits:
- You must opt-in for a credit before the original flight date.
- You must redeem the credit by booking new flights before the expiry date.
- You will have 12 months to complete your travel from the time you make the booking.
- Your credit is not restricted to the same route or type of journey that was originally booked.
- You can use your credit to purchase flights for yourself, or someone else.
- You can redeem the credit against any flights available for purchase by the general public via the Air New Zealand website. If the new flight is more than your credit value, any additional payment must be made using a credit card. A credit card fee will not be charged.
- All credits retain the original refund rules of the tickets placed in credit. If your original ticket was refundable, your credit is also refundable until it is used in whole or part. Once any portion of a credit is used, any credit remaining will be considered non-refundable and will not be refunded.
- If you use a credit to purchase a refundable fare, any refund claimed will be returned to the form of payment used to purchase that refundable fare. Any portion paid using a credit will be returned to you as a credit and be available to be used for as long as the credit remains valid.
- Airpoints Dollars associated with credits issued before 23rd July 2020 will either be returned to the Airpoints account they were originally paid from or issued as a credit, depending on the booking details. All credits issued after 23rd July 2020 for bookings paid in full or in part with Airpoints Dollars™ will be issued as a credit.
- Any Airpoints Dollars™ used to pay for the original booking that have been returned to the account that may have since expired or will soon expire will have their expiry date extended until 30 June 2021. If the original expiry date of the returned Airpoints Dollars was after 30 June 2021, the original expiry date will apply.
To request a credit or to confirm your booking is held in credit please enter your booking details below:
Redeeming your credit
Requested your credit and ready to book? We are building a way for you to easily access your credit online and rebook in the future. While we are getting this ready for you, if you wish to rebook and use your credit please call our Contact Centre. We apologise for any delay in answering your call.
Other travel products
Our partners provide other travel products both within our online booking service and via standalone websites. While we can't give you a credit on their behalf, you can contact them directly and they will be able to offer support based on their individual policies, as well as the conditions of your booking.
You can find more information about how our travel partners are assisting with cancelled travel plans below: